Thursday, April 15, 2010

Priesthood

(Sorry this is a day late; I spent all day yesterday thinking it was Tuesday and woke up today to find I lost a whole day of my life!)

Two divisions of the Priesthood

The priesthood is the eternal power and authority of God. There are two Priesthoods in the Church, the Melchizedek and the Aaronic.

A. Aaronic Priesthood

The Aaronic Priesthood is "an appendage to the greater, or the Melchizedek Priesthood" (D&C 107:14). It is often called the preparatory priesthood. As a priesthood holder serves in the Aaronic Priesthood, he prepares to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, to receive the blessings of the temple, to serve a full-time mission, to be a loving husband and father, and to continue in lifelong service to the Lord.

**Display picture of John the Baptist conferring the Aaronic Priesthood on Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdry

On May 15, 1829, Joseph and Oliver Prayed to the Lord concerning baptism when an angel, who announced himself as John the Baptist, conferred upon them the Aaronic Priesthood through the laying on of hands
The offices of the Aaronic Priesthood are bishop, priest, teacher, and deacon. With the authorization of the presiding priesthood leader (usually the bishop or branch president), those who hold the Aaronic priesthood perform many duties.

**Go through each office of the Aaronic Priesthood. (D&C 13) Cut out a handout with the responsibilities of each office, pass out to kids and have them read them

Handouts:
DEACON: I am a boy who has been baptized and confirmed a member of the Church. At the age of 12 I am ordained to this priesthood office if I am worthy. I can pass the sacrament, serve as an usher or a messenger for priesthood leaders, help care for church buildings and church grounds, and fulfill special assignments such as collecting fast offerings.
TEACHER: I am a worthy young man who is ordained to this priesthood office when I am 14 years old. I have all the duties rights, and powers of a deacon, plus additional ones. I may prepare the bread and water for the sacrament, and I may be assigned as a home teacher.
PRIEST: I must be a worthy young man at least 16 years old. I have all the duties, rights, and powers of the office of deacon and teacher plus some additional ones. I may baptize, administer the sacrament, and ordain other priests, teachers, and deacons. I also may take charge of meetings when there is no Melchizedek priesthood holder present. I am to help church members live the commandments.
BISHOP: I am a worthy High Priest in the Melchizedek Priesthood so that I can preside over all ward affairs and all members within my ward. As such I am responsible for both the temporal and spiritual needs of my ward members. I am a Judge in Israel, I preside over the Aaronic Priesthood and am President of the Priest’s quorum. I am blessed with the spirit of discernment.

B. Melchizedek Priesthood

Melchizedek Priesthood holds the keys to the mysteries of the Kingdom of God and performs the ordinances that pertain to godliness. It is called the greater priesthood and is associated with presiding and administration of spiritual affairs.The Melchizedek Priesthood, which is "after the Order of the Son of God" (D&C 107:3), is the greater priesthood. It "holds the right of presidency, and has power and authority over all the offices in the church" (D&C 107:8). It also holds "the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church" (D&C 107:18). It is named after a great high priest who lived during the time of the prophet Abraham named Melchizedek who was a very righteous priesthood holder.

**Display picture Peter, James, and John conferring the Aaronic Priesthood on Joseph Smith

The apostles Peter, James, and John came to Joseph and Oliver in Junes of 1829 to confer the power and restore the keys of the Melchizedek Priesthood. This power and its keys of authority which were held by many righteous men through the various dispensations will remain on the earth in preparation for the second coming to the Savior

**Handout offices and duties of Melchizedek Priesthood

ELDER: I am ordained an elder usually at the age of 19. I may be called to serve a mission at this time. As an Elder I am called to teach, expound, exhort, baptize, and watch over the church. I have the authority to give the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I can conduct meetings of the Church. I can bless and administer to the sick.
SEVENTY: as an ordained seventy, I have a special calling to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and build up the church in all nations. I am called to be a witness for the Savior to all people. I am called to preach the Gospel.
HIGH PRIEST: As a worthy High Priest I have the right to preside in the church and administer in spiritual things. I can serve in a ward bishopric or branch presidency. I can serve on a Stake High Council. I can serve in a Stake Presidency. I can serve in a Mission Presidency.
PATRIARCH: I am a worthy High Priest who has been chosen and ordained to give special blessings to members of the church in my Stake. These Patriarchal blessings give guidance and understanding as to the conduct of our lives on earth. I give the word of the Lord personally to the members of the Church.
APOSTLE:I am a special witness of Jesus Christ to all the world. I administer the affairs of the Church throughout the world. The Quorum of the 12 Apostles holds all of the keys of the Kingdom of God on earth, but act under the direction of the President of the Church.

**Questions for Discussion:
-For Boys: How can you prepare to get the Priesthood?
-For Girls: How do we honor and respect the priesthood?
-Where have you seen the priesthood working in your life?
-Who do you know that are good examples of honoring the Priesthood?

Song Suggestions:
"The Priesthood is Restored" CSB p. 89
"The Fifth Article of Faith" CSB p. 125
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails